Translate

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Some of the Benefits of Home School for our Family

  Today was Home Ec. for my homeschooled children. Cleaning the home, cooking for the eldest child. I think its important for them to know how to cook, clean and, handle money for when they move out. It saddens me the amount of young adults who are unable to shop for basics without spending everything. My kids are learning multiple ways to cook each meat. That way they know several meals they can make using what is on sale instead of being at the stores mercy price wise.

  Reading Rich Dad Poor Dad is part of our economics class. Our kids also earn their money. We work as a team to keep the house running smoothly. If they don't contribute they don't receive money and can't have friends over. Doing this they are always on the look out for how to earn money rather than asking for the parents to buy it for them. Ilyana, my 8 year old daughter, prefers to earn money having a bake sale in our yard. She makes muffins and brownies to sell. Henry, my 12 year old, looks for chores he knows Mom or Dad hate to do and negotiates a price to do them for us. He also does yard work in the neighborhood and babysits his toddler sister.

  Recently we decided we want save up to move out of our town, and into the country. We want to garden on a bigger scale and raise animals. My kids really want to eat healthier and know where their food comes from. Because of this, My daughter recently came to me and asked if she can contribute to our saving for the new house. I can not express my pride in this, its so great.

  My eldest son Henry (12) wants to get an internship at a restaurant to learn all the jobs there for when he opens the restaurant he plans on. I had to break it to him that there are child labor laws and most corporate restaurants won't allow this. So we are adding in cooking and business classes for him.

  Ilyana (8) Loves art, arts and crafts and decorating. She wants an art studio/home decor store when she grows up. She is very sensitive, cries if she fails a paper or thinks she disappointed anyone. She is driven to help people even if they haven't asked for it. Most common phrase out of her is "do you need anything?"

  My next to youngest child Acheron (7) is much more laid back and prefers to play than think of the future. When he does make a choice we will tailor his education as well.

  From watching and listening to her older siblings Tabitha, our 2 year old, is trying to sing her abc's. She is good from k-z . She counts to 13 and asks to do school work with them. For her its drawing on paper but its the request that means so much to me.

  I am so glad we made the decision to homeschool. This way we can tailor each child's education to include their plans for their future.Instead of teaching for solely for the state tests. In this way I believe, our children will have a better foundation going into life and succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment